Saturday, November 20, 2010

Being Accosted in Kleman Plaza...

Two weeks in a row now a child has come up to me as I walked up the stairs in the Kleman Plaza parking garage and asked me to support them in their fund-raiser for the American Heart Association. The little girl today actually solicited donations twice from me and my friend. Once on our way to lunch at Harry's and once on our way out. The girl had to have been around my daughter's age of 7. And where were her parents you ask? Sitting on the wall nearby looking as disinterested in helping their child as I was in giving some strange girl my money. 

When did it become appropriate for this type of solicitation? On both occasions, I was annoyed (not with the child who doesn't know or wasn't taught any better) but at the parents for their laziness and inappropriate tactics for "helping" their child raise funds. If that's actually what they're doing.

My daughter also received a fund-raising packet from her school to help raise money for the American Heart Association in a Jumprope for Heart fund-raiser. And I'm assuming it's the same type fund-raiser. There is no question that this is a good cause, but I wonder if the American Heart Association was aware of some of the parents tactics for soliciting donations, would they approve? On the sheet my daughter received, it specifically notes: For the safety of our children, we ask that your child not go door-to-door or ask strangers for donations. Well, I certainly was a stranger to both of these children and I'm assuming that the others they accosted for funds certainly were too. In addition, the American Heart Association encourages your children to help raise funds online, that way your child does not have to handle cash or checks. They even go as far as providing a site where your child can create a webpage to raise funds and give you instructions on how to do it. They make it easy for your child to raise funds safely and appropriately.

And speaking of cash or checks, I couldn't help but notice the condition of the girl's packet/folder. It practically looked shredded and the top was open showing money inside. This girl was also going up and down the stairs, and the first time I actually saw her, she almost stepped out in front of my car as I pulled up to the gate as I entered the parking garage. The American Heart Association cares about the safety of our children, but I'm not so sure this child's parents were as concerned about hers.

In addition, as my friend and I left Harry's and politely said no to this child for the second time, I couldn't help but think...is she really raising money for the American Heart Association or were her parents using her to beg for money? Think about it. We were strangers to her as much as she was a stranger to us. So how would we know if those "donations" actually go to the American Heart Association and not end up in her parent's pockets? We wouldn't, and I'm willing to bet her parents figured no one would say no to their child, and that she would easily raise money. However, I'm certain that they didn't consider how inappropriate, dangerous and downright tacky way that is to raise funds for any cause, especially for one as important as the American Heart Association's.

No comments:

Post a Comment