Saturday, September 18, 2010

What You Need is an Attitude Adjustment.

"Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it." – Lou Holtz

Attitude and motivation go hand in hand. If you have a lousy attitude, you won’t be motivated. But with a good attitude, you can accomplish anything. This is true in all aspects of life, including getting fit.

Twice this week I was asked how I stay motivated. How do I keep up the workouts and healthy diet? One of my friends actually called me strong and steadfast. (Actually what was said was...she would remain strong and steadfast like me when another friend told her to get a piece of cake.  I just laughed.). I guess that would be a good way to describe my will to succeed. However, my initial response to the question was that at this point it becomes routine. And that is true... in part. After working out 6 days a week for the past 5 months, it has become part of my daily ritual and I feel like something is wrong (or I'm gaining weight or that my fat will suddenly reappear) if I don't workout. If I do skip more than the one day a week I'm allowed, there is a good reason for it (such as I'm out of town). I don't skip a day just because I don't feel like doing it. I won't let myself do that. I won't let myself make excuses. And when I get back in town, I have no problems getting back into my routine.

But there's a lot more to it than just routine. And for me my motivation depends on where I am in the process. What motivated me in the beginning isn't what motivates me now. Not entirely anyway. Yes, my ultimate motivation is finding my rock hard abs but along the way other things have kept me encouraged.

In the beginning it was the excitement of a new workout, wanting to lose as quickly as possible, and the thought of having a great body (and I was crazy enough to think I could do it all in 90 days) but that thought motivated me. I didn't want to come to the end of that first 90 days and not have accomplished some, if not all, of my goals, or worse…quit and lost nothing.

Halfway through P90X my motivation shifted when I started to see the results and started losing. When I noticed the difference in the way my clothes fit and when they looked better on me. I was looking better, feeling better and that was encouraging. Not only that but planning my meals a week at a time made life much easier because I didn't have to decide what to eat for lunch or dinner every day because I already had them planned.

Toward the end of P90X my motivation was the excitement of completing the program and starting a new one. It was the continued loss of fat (not necessarily weight – some, but not much) that encouraged me to keep trucking, and I was excited about how much better I looked and felt.

Now, I’m halfway through the Rev Abs workout (my second 90 day program), and I’ve started to see real definition (even in my abs, although I still have some fat to lose there). And my butt has never looked better (something I never thought would happen or was possible – I consider that a bonus). I’m even proud of the way I look in a bathing suit. Bathing suit shopping is something I dread every year, but now I’m actually looking forward to buying a new one. The more my body changes, the better I feel and look and the more motivated I am.

There are days (like this morning...and yesterday morning...all this week actually) when I'm tired and don't feel like getting out of bed. This week I started phase 2 of the Rev Abs workout (the last 45 days of this 90 day program). And it is tough, real tough, and been kicking my butt (and making me extremely sore), at least in the beginning of the week. And that has put a damper on my enthusiasm a bit, but I kept at it and was glad I did.  So how do I stay motivated on days like these? Well, as I'm lying in bed half asleep and thinking how nice and comfortable my bed is and how nice it would be to just keep lying there, I'm also thinking that I only have an hour before I need to start getting ready for work. A very small window that shuts rather quickly. I know that if I get up too late, I won't have time and then I'll feel bad and worry about what I eat all day. But when I workout, I don't worry as much about having a piece of cake (or a cupcake) at work when we're celebrating someone's birthday (such as Monday), and quite frankly because I do eat healthy and work my butt off (literally), splurging like that once in awhile is ok (as long as it's a little splurge...and once in awhile).

But, there have been times when I've gotten discouraged because I'm not losing as fast as I'd like. And during those times I had to re-focus...in other words...I needed an attitude adjustment. Whether I would rethink my diet, whether I would go back to basics, whether I would think about how far I've gotten and that I'm not through yet or that I just need more time.  Sometimes just a glance in the mirror or looking over my before and after pictures is enough.  Whatever it takes to keep me motivated, I'm willing to do.  And never once has quitting entered my mind. Ok, that's not entirely true. It has flashed through now and again, but I quickly quash that crazy notion.  

What I know and what you need to realize is that there is no quick fix. There is no easy button for staying in shape and eating right. It's a choice... it's an attitude. It's a decision you have to make. The Beachbody.com motto is Decide, Commit, Succeed. And that is what I've done. I've decided to get into shape. I’ve committed to doing it, and I am succeeding. You can't lose if you don't do the work. You can't lose if you keep making excuses. You can't succeed if you don't commit.

I hear people making excuses all the time…I’m too tired, I don’t have time, it’s too hard, etc… Oh yeah? Well, it is for everyone. And it is for me. I have to get up at 4:45 a.m. during the week and around 6:30 a.m. on the weekends to do my workouts because that is the only time I can do them. You are no more tired than me, you are not busier than me and the workouts aren’t any easier for me. So stop making excuses. Stop sitting on your butt eating those potato chips, candy bars, ice cream, etc… and then complaining about how fat you’re getting.  You are responsible for your fat, you are responsible for putting that food and drink in your mouth and only you can take it away.

So, if you want to lose weight, if you want to get in shape, if you want to get healthy then you must adjust your attitude and the motivation will come.   

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jen, Your posts are very inspiring! I began working with a nutritionist/trainer in early Sept, and have already lost a few pounds. I am exercising 4-5 days/week (Kettlebells 3 days, running 4-5 miles 1-2 days). I've cut out grains, cheese, nuts, and wine (but allow myself to indulge a little on the weekends). It's been a challenge, but I am so determined to get back into shape, and just seeing the first lbs disappear, are enough to keep me going. I love how you talk about getting up early to exercise - I need to take this into consideration, and stop making excuses on days when I am too busy to fit in a workout. I was exhausted and cranky tonight, desperately wanting a glass of wine or a piece of chocolate, BUT I went to my kettlebell class instead, and came home and ate a very healthy dinner instead (pat on back...). I'm looking forward to where I am in a few months!

    Best,
    Paige

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paige! Great way to stay focused and not eat and/or drink that extra treat. I bet you felt pretty good afterward too. Trust me, it is challenging for me too. The blog I'm currently working on is about that. My main challenge is the diet. I keep wanting to slip in little treats here and there, but they add up quickly. Your determination will certainly help you reach your goals. Keep at it and keep me posted.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete